main  weblog  audio  visual  written  connections  about  contact 

Tuesday, August 9

Desired Constellations

You know, today I was telling a story about when I figured out I was supposed to be a graphic designer.

One day, I was looking thru CD's at some CD shop and noticed that I always fix the CD's on the rack. If they are misplaced, or if they are not put back neatly in their designated spots, I have the unnecessary need to correct the problem. I then realized that there are several areas in my life in which I do this. The pictures in my house have to be level, I basically ignore all my senses when trying to pick out a greeting card, I used to line my CD's up by color so that they produce a nice looking spectrum, my computer's desktop (not to mention my actual desktop) has to be sparkling clean to get any real creative work done. When I'm nervous and at a restaurant, I tear up napkins and create elaborate (balanced) constellations with them. Forget about it when I get a beer in my hand or am playing a game that has many colorful pieces (like Trivial Pursuit).

But back to the CD's. I should get paid every time I go into a CD shop. I probably do more work cleaning the place up than the hired help. I realized that I do this because I want to see order. I want to see everything in their right location...I want to see balance and composition. I knew then that me becoming a designer was good because what my life consists of is balancing the things I see around me.

That reminds me, check this out: www.robinproctorphotography.com/ my friends hired her for their wedding in Colorado. Talk about some really friggin' great composition...but she goes further with the colors and quality of photos. I don't know if this the norm in the wedding photography industry, but she rocks.

Well, whatever, I spent like 5 hours on my houstonhaunts.com site making a few tiny changes (I'm talking the whole site is being reworked for 2 pixels).

Oh yea, and I think Bjork's Vespertine is a bad a** album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home