main  weblog  audio  visual  written  connections  about  contact 

Sunday, May 21

Layout this!

Today I realized why we were always forced to critique other people's art in school. Not that I didn't like doing it (it was one of my favorite parts of class) but I understand better now why we were doing.

I used to be such an A-hole too. I made it a point to say at least 1 thing negative and 1 thing positive about other people's art...sometimes I would go on way too long about the negative. Err. I really thought that I was helping them too. I don't remember why now, but one day I just thought that maybe I was really hurting some feelings, so I really pulled back.

Anyways...

Today, (oh no, I'm about to talk about work!) I became angry. What is it with people? Seriously, what the F is it with people? No one knows how to say if they really like something or not. I've heard so much about how people like this or that...and then they try to change it the second they get the chance. I perceive it as backhanded and weak.

I also have a problem with helping cover other people's mistakes. Am I doing my job well by doing so or am I cultivating a culture of laziness and mediocrity?

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Pray tell, what are you speaking of? Call me. lol

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with people not speaking truthfully as a weakness, but at the same time think of what it'd look like if people were always commenting negatively -- even if they were trying to help. Trust me, I've been there (am there some days) and it's unattractive. Search for the gray, or search for new people who don't mind your comments.

The problem with covering people's mistakes is that you're doing something which someone never even asked you to do. If it works out well, you still may not be given credit for what you did, and then if you were to mess up you'd certainly be scalded for it. So, why do it? Do you think that the person who you're covering for appreciates you or what you did?

...gosh, I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot with these comments.

--- KDocs

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home